Wednesday, March 3, 2010

CATEGORICAL RESIDENTS’ ADJUST TO LIFE AS INTERNS

The Surgical Society would like to extend a warm welcome to three of our newest additions to the Mount Sinai Family. As of July 1, 2009, these three individuals began their training as General Surgery categorical residents. We asked the interns to give us an update about how things are going, here is what they had to say:
Patrick Lemasters:
“I am now entering my sixth month as a surgical intern at Mount Sinai. I have been very busy but having a great time. The best part of residency is going to the OR and operating. I have already learned a tremendous amount but when I’m operating with the attendings I realize that there is so much more to learn. My fellow residents have also made this year amazing. For example, the whole intern class was able to get together for thanksgiving dinner. This was awesome because it was the first time I could not go back home for thanksgiving. I have also enjoyed living in New York City. This truly is the best city in the world!”
Anne Stey:
“Here we go; I have no doubt that intern year will be one of the most memorable years of my life. The strong relationships that you build with nurses and co-residents while taking care of patients is something that very few other professions have the opportunity to experience. Also, the trust and gratitude of patients is truly humbling feeling that challenges you to be better. In addition, surgical training is still very much an apprenticeship, where you have the chance to learn alongside people whose dedication to the field and teaching inspires you to strive to be the same type of mentor to the younger. At the end of the day, no matter how tired I am, there is nothing I would rather be doing.”
Alero Nanna: “It’s hard to believe it’s been five whole months already. I started with vascular surgery, which was very busy and physically tasking, but I had an excellent hardworking team so we pulled through together. Team 5 was all about balance. Between clinic, cases, floor work and presentations, I learned that being organized was key. SICU was fun, very hands-on and intellectually challenging. Orthopedics and urology were absolutely different worlds. Through it all, I have learned a lot about managing patients, the health care system and also about myself. I have had the opportunity to work with and learn from stars (my seniors and attendings) and I look forward to one day joining them on the Mount Sinai sky.”